Over the All Star break Baseball America released its update of the top 100 prospects. I have provided some analysis on some of the names that received my attention.
101. Padres SS Fernando Tatis Jr - A prospect that was on my radar but the swing and miss bothered me. The power is real but while baseball has embraced the strikeout I have not. I still rate him as a BUY with the hope that he cuts down on the strikeouts.
97. Angles OF Jordon Adell - Hopefully Adell will be in 2017 Draft in December. Scouts worry about his swing and miss issues.
96. Red Sox 3B Michael Chavis - Nice prospect putting up solid numbers in AA so far. I would rate him as a STRONG BUY.
93. Indians 1B Bobby Bradley - 16HR's so far in AA with a respectable K%. He is coming along well and I would buy an auto or two.
92. Phillies SS J.P. Crawford - Crawford has struggled a little in AAA. If you have any auto's HOLD.
91. Rockies 1B/3B Ryan McMahon - I recommended Ryan in the past but unless he is a superstar Rockies players don't sell well.
90. Blue Jays SS Lourdes Gurriel -Watching him closely as he returns from injury.
83. White Sox RHP Dylan Cease - Nice prospect joining a stacked White Sox farm system. I expect prices to remain at the same level.
71. Braves SS Kevin Maitan - Has not played yet but cards are already on the high end.
69. Phillies 1B Ryan Hoskins - Needs a Chrome auto.
57. Cardinals RHP Jack Flaherty - Loved him since he was drafted and his stuff keeps getting better. I rate him as a BUY.
52. Phillies 2B Scott Kingery - Legit prospect who has made great adjustments. His Bowman Auto is on the high end.
51. Cardinals C Carson Kelly - A great catching prospect who plays great defense and will hit for a good average with pop.
50. Mets 1B Dominic Smith - Underrated prospect in my opinion. Auto's are still at a decent price considering the market. Very impressive season so far.
46. Phillies OF Mickey Moniak - Love the talent but can he hit for power?
45. White Sox OF Luis Robert - Hopefully Robert is in 2017 Bowman Chrome
44. Blue Jays SS Bo Bichette - One of the hottest prospects in the minors. Buy if you can afford it. All you need is one.
41. Braves RHP Kyle Wright - Looking forward to his debut.
40. Rays LHP/1B Brendan McKay - Brendan seems like a generational talent. I really hope he succeeds playing both ways.
39. Twins SS Royce Lewis - On fire in rookie ball but don't take those stats too seriously.
34. Rangers OF Leody Taveras - STRONG BUY - Leody is the current top prospect in the Rangers system. At 18 years old he is producing some good numbers. Don't let the batting average worry you. The K rate is 15% and walk rate is around 8% in A ball. Auto's are under $25.
30. Reds RHP Hunter Greene - Another generational talent that hopefully will play both ways. I love that he is playing for the Reds.
22. Pirates OF Austin Meadows - Still battling injuries and the pop has not been there. I'm worried a little but I would HOLD and not sell.
23. Braves LHP Kolby Allard - Impressive numbers after coming back from injury. I am now a believer.
If you would like my thoughts on any prospect not mentioned on the list or one that did not make the list, leave a comment or reach out to me on Twitter @Prospects4Cash. Thanks!
Hi, What are your thoughts on buying Alex Jackson autos? He was considered a huge prospect once he was drafted to the Mariners and his autos were insanely expensive back then . It seems he has turned things around with the Braves and he is still only 21. Autos are only 15-20 dollars now.ReplyDelete
I think a $15-20 dollar investment for an Alex Jackson auto is as low as it gets. Scouts have given up on him but he has improved. I would not buy a boatload but a small investment is fine.Delete
What is your opinion on the Yankees Miguel Andujar 2013 bowman chrome auto card longterm? When would you sell if you own him? Any upside to holding him to see if he's a star in NY?ReplyDelete
A base Miguel Andujar auto is going for around $40 now. When it comes to Yankees prospects there is always upside to hold if the player plays well. However, Yankess prospects are always overvalued. Is it possible that he could be a star? Maybe. I see him as an above average everyday regular and he makes contact. That is why I recommended Dustin Fowler. Scouts like him more than Frazier and his autos were not inflated when Bowman Chrome was released. I would sell to a least get back your initial investment and hold to see how he does. He has a future with the team.Delete
Thanks for the reply. I have over 150 of his BC autos. Red, blue, purple, gold, orange. Most of the base autos I purchased for $25 bucks or less between 2013 & 2016. I'm thinking if he continues to do well in AAA the rest of the year, he's going to be in a lot of conversations for 2018 with that being Headley's last year. Offseason leading up to spring training may be good time to sell some to get investment back. Hopefully he gets a call up in September & goes full Jim Leyritz pushing his way on to October roster.Delete
I appreciate you commenting on the page. With all the injuries the team has suffered I expect him to be called up after the trade deadline. Not sure if he will play everyday but in my opinion he is in their long term plans. If you sell now you are making some good profit but I understand holding longer. When success occurs in the majors prices go sky high. Especially for a Yankee.Delete
I like Dustin Fowler except I am worried how he will respond from injury. Should I be? or is this a possible buy low opportunity.ReplyDelete
I would be worried a little. The recovery time may be a while. It was a unfortunate injury. I expect prices to drop especially in December. It is a buy low opportunity. If it was Tommy John surgery his prices would probably remain in a hold pattern.Delete
Carlos Tocci? Invest? LMK. Thx, AdamReplyDelete
Yes he is for sure a bargain bin prospect. He is a speedster though and will not hit many home runs but for the cost of under $5, I would buy.Delete
Was it worth me buying 16 chrome base autos for $70? Also, which players are too overpriced and overrated that I should stay away from? Lmk. I love the site and Im a big fan.Delete
Yes it the best investment you could have made for a speedster. I only buy speedsters when they are a bargain bin candidate. Look at Billy Hamilton. Where are his prices now? Far as overrated prospects. Most Yankee prospect prices will be inflated due to the market. I think the guys that are high end are where they should be. Moniak is a little high. Good prospect but can he hit for power.Delete
Thanks for commenting on the page. I really appreciate it. I am always here for questions.Delete
sell nick williams or hold? He's hot, but will he be a superstar?ReplyDelete
I personally would sell. I don't see him as a superstar but an average everyday player. I would collect my profits.Delete
Appreciate your help. I've been looking at the MLB top prospects by organization and they're many guys that have good averages. I can't afford to invest in every single one. How would you limit the players you invest in? Should I look at something besides HRs, OBPs, and AVG? What baseball clubs have such terrible markets that I shouldn't even invest in? Looking forward to hearing your response. Thx, AdamReplyDelete
Interesting and good question. I would always look at K rate and Walk rate. If that is good look at the amount of extra base hits they have. A few markets I avoid are Seattle(Poorly run and far west),Milwaukee(Small fan base), and Colorado (Altitude). There are more but stay tuned.Delete
What are you thoughts on Justin Williams? Bought a bunch of base cards under a $1 and various chrome auto versions for about an average of $15. Added a couple PSA 10's as well.ReplyDelete
I am fan and have talked about him before on the site. Seems like he has made some good adjustments and he still really young.Delete