Over the All Star break Baseball America released its update of the top 100 prospects. I have provided some analysis on some of the names that received my attention.
101. Padres SS Fernando Tatis Jr - A prospect that was on my radar but the swing and miss bothered me. The power is real but while baseball has embraced the strikeout I have not. I still rate him as a BUY with the hope that he cuts down on the strikeouts.
97. Angles OF Jordon Adell - Hopefully Adell will be in 2017 Draft in December. Scouts worry about his swing and miss issues.
96. Red Sox 3B Michael Chavis - Nice prospect putting up solid numbers in AA so far. I would rate him as a STRONG BUY.
93. Indians 1B Bobby Bradley - 16HR's so far in AA with a respectable K%. He is coming along well and I would buy an auto or two.
92. Phillies SS J.P. Crawford - Crawford has struggled a little in AAA. If you have any auto's HOLD.
91. Rockies 1B/3B Ryan McMahon - I recommended Ryan in the past but unless he is a superstar Rockies players don't sell well.
90. Blue Jays SS Lourdes Gurriel -Watching him closely as he returns from injury.
83. White Sox RHP Dylan Cease - Nice prospect joining a stacked White Sox farm system. I expect prices to remain at the same level.
71. Braves SS Kevin Maitan - Has not played yet but cards are already on the high end.
69. Phillies 1B Ryan Hoskins - Needs a Chrome auto.
57. Cardinals RHP Jack Flaherty - Loved him since he was drafted and his stuff keeps getting better. I rate him as a BUY.
52. Phillies 2B Scott Kingery - Legit prospect who has made great adjustments. His Bowman Auto is on the high end.
51. Cardinals C Carson Kelly - A great catching prospect who plays great defense and will hit for a good average with pop.
50. Mets 1B Dominic Smith - Underrated prospect in my opinion. Auto's are still at a decent price considering the market. Very impressive season so far.
46. Phillies OF Mickey Moniak - Love the talent but can he hit for power?
45. White Sox OF Luis Robert - Hopefully Robert is in 2017 Bowman Chrome
44. Blue Jays SS Bo Bichette - One of the hottest prospects in the minors. Buy if you can afford it. All you need is one.
41. Braves RHP Kyle Wright - Looking forward to his debut.
40. Rays LHP/1B Brendan McKay - Brendan seems like a generational talent. I really hope he succeeds playing both ways.
39. Twins SS Royce Lewis - On fire in rookie ball but don't take those stats too seriously.
34. Rangers OF Leody Taveras - STRONG BUY - Leody is the current top prospect in the Rangers system. At 18 years old he is producing some good numbers. Don't let the batting average worry you. The K rate is 15% and walk rate is around 8% in A ball. Auto's are under $25.
30. Reds RHP Hunter Greene - Another generational talent that hopefully will play both ways. I love that he is playing for the Reds.
22. Pirates OF Austin Meadows - Still battling injuries and the pop has not been there. I'm worried a little but I would HOLD and not sell.
23. Braves LHP Kolby Allard - Impressive numbers after coming back from injury. I am now a believer.
If you would like my thoughts on any prospect not mentioned on the list or one that did not make the list, leave a comment or reach out to me on Twitter @Prospects4Cash. Thanks!
Sunday, July 16, 2017
Thursday, July 13, 2017
Still Time to Buy Nick Gordon
Nick Gordon is having a breakout season and prices have not spiked like I thought they would. He has shown increased power and should stay at shortstop. There is still time to invest for a reasonable price. I think he will only improve.
Wednesday, July 5, 2017
A Rule That Every Prospector Should Follow
On July 4th, an Aaron Judge BGS graded 9.5 purple auto sold for $14,655. This is the highest sale I have seen for an Aaron Judge card. The one rule that I tell any prospector whether they are young or old is "all you need is one". If your budget allows you to buy multiples autos of a player, by all means proceed but if not, one auto is just fine. When 2009 Bowman Draft was released a Mike Trout auto was only $20. When Aaron Judge struggled during his first callup, prices were very affordable. All you need is one.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)